Although Cecil Ewing was our most famous golfer there were other very good golfers in the club. One was a lady golfer a Mrs A.F Vernon. Who was this Mrs. Vernon?
Amy Vernon was better known in the club as Amy Frances Ormbsy.
The Ormbsy family originally from Castledargan but lived in Rosses Point in the early part of the last century, her mother Mary was one of the Middleton family who had bought the lands of Rosses Point in 1867. Amy, her brother William and mother Mary lived in Bawsmore Lodge in the village. From an early age she showed a splendid aptitude for golf playing over the original nine holes and when the course was extended to 18 holes was ready to compete at the highest level.
In May 1909 in Lahinch, Amy won the Irish Ladies Close Championship beating Violet Hezlet, one of the famous Hezlet sisters from Royal Portrush by 4 & 2 in the final after being 3 down at one stage in the match. She subsequently married Larry Vernon a dentist from Marino house in Sligo. Larry was an outstanding golfer himself. He was a member of the club council and was on the greens and handicap committees, and also held the course record at one time.
They emigrated to South Africa in 1913. Larry was advised to for health reasons to move to South Africa as two of Larry’s brothers who were bankers lived there. He was runner up in the Men’s South African Amateur Stroke-play Championship in 1922 at Royal Port Alfred.
In South Africa Amy won the Ladies South African championship on four occasions starting in 1922 in Durban, then in Mowbray in 1925 and Durban in 1926 and finally the last time in 1934 on the Maccauvlei course. Home on holidays in 1923 Larry was the winner of the inaugural West of Ireland Championship. There were forty two entries and sixteen qualified for match play from two rounds of stroke play.
Amy’s brother Willie was also a fine golfer, he played in the first “West” where he was joint leading qualifier. He was beaten in the first round by the eventual runner up B.Cook.
Willie was married to Cecil Ewing’s Aunt Ethel. They ran the Royal Hotel (now “Harrys”) in the village for many years. He was assistant honorary secretary of the club for a number of years